How many times have you taken out the trash thinking "oh man the trash stinks!", then you come back and you can still smell that smell?? I've found a great way to clean out the trash cans using natural products. This is important to me for two big reasons. 1st - I don't have worry about having or using chemicals around the kids and 2nd - I don't have to worry about what those chemicals are doing to harm the environment.
What you will need:
- Hot water
- White vinegar
- Tea Tree Oil
- Long handled brush (an extra toilet brush works great for this)
- Baking Soda
What you will do:
- Fill the trash can about half way with hot water (I fill it in the bathtub)
- Add 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 8-10 drops of Tea Tree Oil
- Mix that around and use the brush to scrub down the sides of the can
- Leave it to soak for 20-30 minutes (longer if you get sidetracked)
- Empty and I like to set it outdoors to dry, then sprinkle a little baking soda in the bottom before putting in a new trash bag.
That's it! It works for me. :) I hope you'll try it and let me know how it works for you!